Hello everyone,

I thought I would take an opportunity to draw attention to a simple, yet effective, light that falls out of the realm of the mainstream “tactical” type  lights we so often see being produced and featured today in the 'arms race' of luminosity that is undertaken by many manufacturers. 

This review is on the Pak-Lite Super glow which has a design that is ingenious in its simplicity.

For information on this light you can see it here:  http://www.9voltlight.com/inc/sdetail/31948

I will allow their website to fill in any details that are not covered here.  However, I would like to highlight some of the benefits that I see in having this light.

1 – It is extremely portable so it can easily be placed with almost any type of kit.  It is also a fairly durable design regardless of appearance so accidentally dropping it should not cause a failure of any sort.

2 – It has an extremely long runtime on any type of 9V battery.  Purchasing a lithium battery will greatly extend the runtime (up to 1200 hours on low), extend the amount of time it can be stored and still be ready to use (up to 10 years), and also enable you to have reliable light when used and/or stored in more extreme temperatures (-40°F to 140°F) where alkaline batteries would cease to function.  Lithium batteries also have the added bonus of being 1/4th the weight of alkaline batteries for you 'ultra-light' hikers reading this post.  

**A note on the durations listed here, and on their website.  These are not ANSI ratings, but from all I have read are fairly accurate listings although I have not tested this myself.**  Storage and operating temperatures of the lithium batteries were obtained from the Energizer website concerning their 'Advanced lithium battery'.

3 – This model of the Pak-Lite has two modes of brightness.  Low mode throws off roughly the same amount of light as a candle so it is more than enough to navigate with in a dark room, and can be used for reading or viewing a map without the light blinding you in the process.  The high mode is accessible at the flip of a switch when desired.

4 – If something should happen where light is needed in an extended emergency situation, you can always find another battery in most all smoke detectors if you are caught with an old or mostly used battery with you at the time.  This is a handy detail if you are caught in an urban survival situation like being trapped in a building, or simply by enabling you to keep a practical light handy in an extended power outage in yours or someone else's home.

5 – The cap continues to glow for quite some time after the light is turned off allowing you to easily find it again.  Their website lists 12 hours, but I have not experienced this with my own.  Merely turning the light on and off though does make mine glow for about 30 minutes.  This glow feature is enough to read a clear base plate compass when having a light on during night-time navigation is undesired.  Doing this entails switching the light on and then off again while it is completely concealed from view before removing it to use in this manner.  If you manage to accidentally drop this light when it has not yet been turned on, you can use another light to 'sweep'  the area in question.  Even if you do not spot your pak-lite when the light shines on it, when you turn the flashlight off and your eyes re-adjust, you may have hit the pak-lite with the beam causing it to glow and easily be found.

6 – The cap both separates and snaps back on easily for battery replacement, but will not merely fall off.

7 – This also makes for a readily available firestarter if you have any steel wool handy.  Merely touching the battery to steel wool will cause instant ignition of the steel wool.  So even if you are hypothermic, it takes no more than simple gross motor function to both operate this light, and use it to quickly get a potentially life-saving fire going.  This can be done when your Bic or other type of lighter will not function well due to cold temperature, high altitude, or has gotten wet.

8 – It has a very weather resistant but not water-proof design.  However, merely removing the cap, and drying the contacts if accidental submersion does happen will have it up and running again in most instances.  I have used mine in the rain, and experienced no problems or water infiltration.

9 – There is a cheap accessory kit available for this light.  I would however caution against attaching a magnet to this light or having ANYTHING magnetic in your kit other than your compass. 

A final note:  Neither this author nor this website are affiliated in any manner with any distributor or manufacturer.  The aforementioned receive no monetary compensation by your viewing or purchase of any item discussed for your benefit herein.  Your mileage may vary.

I hope those reading this find it both informative and useful.

God bless,

Rahthrae

Views: 1000

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Hi JG!

Wow, I guess Pak-Lite liked the review.  I happened to notice the date on the post.  It's hard to believe it's been that long since I posted it.  I really need to get back to writing some reviews/articles.  I have acquired so much gear, and I think some of it a lot of people would really glean benefit from knowing about.  I would like to update the Prepare page as well.  I really thought work would calm down, and I would get some more time, but that isn't happening so I guess I'll just have to make the time soon.  I miss you.

God bless.

Your review and our link is still there, Rah!  I have to add that I wouldn't be without that Pak-Lite.  Sometimes my job requires that I switch out equipment, and to do that, I have to crawl under the counter line and shelving to run the power supply.  My Pak-Lite illuminates the entire area, just by setting there, the beam aimed in the general direction of where I'm working.  It's tough to do work that is most efficient using two hands, if one has to hold a flashlight!  So yes, I love my Pak-Lite.

Hiya Rahth! 

Well, since you know how Rick is when he sees my stuff, thought I'd let you get a laugh about the fact I had to buy MORE Pak-Lites because ... monkey see, monkey do! Had to have them! LOL

Take care, Robin ;) 

Robin, I've had two people at work order a Pak-lite. They saw me use it to find something that rolled under the counter, and to get new equipment plugged in. It is quite handy!

I love it! Those things are awesome!  Got Pak-Lite and Bluto, will travel! LOL 

Hi Rahth,

Update since I bought Rick the lite! He sleeps with the thing! He absolutely loves it! These things really are just the coolest! 

;) 

Bringing back to front for members that havent seen and tweeting out again

I thought you’d like to know - this post is still in the top three at Pak-Light’s website!

http://9voltlight.com/reviews

Oh how cool! Wow! I hope Rath sees this!

Wow, and this post is over 5 years old too!  As an update, I still think they are awesome.  In fact, I bought 5 more when I knew I was going to be buying a house because I knew I could not afford the generator I want right away.  I hope everyone is doing well.  I've been really busy to say the least.  If things ever settle down for me, I might actually get some time back on here!  Miss and love yas! 

RSS

Attention:

Please view our mission, policy, and legal disclaimer to learn about us by visiting the main menu.  Thank you.

PLEASE SIGN THE PETITION!

BRING BACK #HUAC

http://bit.ly/2mqIVmH 

CONTACT CONGRESS!

Let your voice be counted!

House:  http://1.usa.gov/mHZjgo

Senate:  http://1.usa.gov/3UAs

PLEASE PRAY FOR OUR NATION.

national debt

Founders' Corner

Latest Activity

Robin replied to Robin's discussion Migrant caravan bound for US swells despite Trump threats...'You can’t even walk, there’s just so many people'
"‘Thank God’: Former ICE Director Says Trump Is A ‘Bulldog’ Who Will Stop…"
1 hour ago
Robin replied to Robin's discussion Migrant caravan bound for US swells despite Trump threats...'You can’t even walk, there’s just so many people'
"This is getting mighty UGLY! This is a flat out invasion! They aren’t asylum seekers! We must…"
1 hour ago
Jerseygal replied to Jerseygal's discussion Fauxahontas’ DNA results are in
"Thanks for the many responses!  Trump got into her head, for sure!"
2 hours ago
Jerseygal liked JeansBrother's discussion Heritage -- Daily Signal -- 10/22/2018
2 hours ago
Robin replied to JeansBrother's discussion Heritage -- Daily Signal -- 10/22/2018
"I just love the way you put things, Luis! You speak the truth while cracking me up at the same…"
2 hours ago
Robin liked JeansBrother's discussion Heritage -- Daily Signal -- 10/22/2018
2 hours ago
Luis522 replied to JeansBrother's discussion Heritage -- Daily Signal -- 10/22/2018
"It's more-than-one Monday! 1. Florida....uh...hello? The enthusiasm at the mayor…"
6 hours ago
Jodi180 replied to Jerseygal's discussion Fauxahontas’ DNA results are in
"Ok...these are going in Tids!!"
6 hours ago
"Ok...I'm laughing, JG."
6 hours ago
"Good one!"
6 hours ago
Griswold liked Robin's discussion Migrant caravan bound for US swells despite Trump threats...'You can’t even walk, there’s just so many people'
8 hours ago
Jerome commented on Robin's blog post How Democrat Rage is Destroying America.... A deranged radical movement gets high on its own fury.
"There is a canon that hasn't made a sound since President Trumps victory and the ensuing…"
9 hours ago
Watchman replied to Robin's discussion Migrant caravan bound for US swells despite Trump threats...'You can’t even walk, there’s just so many people'
"Short of using force, which I doubt we will do, I don't know any way to stop them. Even using…"
10 hours ago
Jerome replied to Robin's discussion Migrant caravan bound for US swells despite Trump threats...'You can’t even walk, there’s just so many people'
"This may very well end up as the showdown of showdowns.  The U.S.'s resolve is about to…"
10 hours ago
JeansBrother posted discussions
10 hours ago
JeansBrother replied to Robin's discussion Migrant caravan bound for US swells despite Trump threats...'You can’t even walk, there’s just so many people'
"Get Mexico to allow US troops inside Mexico for up to two miles past the US-Mexico border. Get…"
yesterday

TRAFFIC

© 2018   Fundamental Refounding.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service