Don’t call it a coup. Venezuelans have a right to replace an oppressive, toxic regime.

This is what Bernie Sanders wants for America! No thanks, Bernie!

DEEP UNCERTAINTY surrounds the latest events in Venezuela. Tuesday began with a pre-dawn recorded address to the public by interim president Juan Guaidó, who stood with members of the security forces at a Caracas air base and declared that a long-anticipated barracks uprising against the regime of Nicolás Maduro had begun. Accompanying Mr. Guaidó was opposition leader Leopoldo López, apparently released from his four-year detention by defecting guards. Venezuelans responded to Mr. Guaidó’s call for street protests and were met by troops loyal to Mr. Maduro. By late afternoon, clashes were taking place, regime officials were promising a decisive “counterattack,” and there was no way to know whether “Operation Liberty,” as Mr. Guaidó dubbed this high-risk move, would succeed or be crushed — or devolve into civil war.

What is not, or should not be, ambiguous is the political and moral essence of this volatile situation. The Maduro regime has violated human rights on a massive scale, leaving hundreds of peaceful opponents dead, and it has led Venezuela into economic catastrophe. Millions of Venezuelans have fled to other countries, including hundreds of thousands to the United States. Having first been elected in 2013, Mr. Maduro forfeited democratic legitimacy in January 2016, when he purported to deprive the National Assembly of its powers because the opposition had won control the previous month. He then manipulated the political system to create a parallel puppet legislature and, on May 20, 2018, engineered his reelection through a flawed process from which both international observers and leading opposition figures were effectively barred. His inauguration as president for a new term in January, in defiance of warnings from neighboring Latin democracies, prompted Mr. Guaidó, leader of the National Assembly, to declare the presidential office vacant and himself its interim occupant, as provided in the Venezuelan Constitution — and supported by more than 50 countries, including the United States.

Therefore, whatever its ultimate outcome or, indeed, its strategic wisdom, Tuesday’s uprising is not a “coup attempt,” as the Maduro regime, echoed by too many people abroad, calls it. Rather, it is the latest in a series of legitimate and, for the most part, nonviolent efforts by Venezuelans, both civilian and military, to throw off an oppressive, toxic regime so that they can freely elect a legitimate government. Supporters of freedom and democracy should stand in solidarity with Mr. Guaidó and the many thousands of Venezuelans now bravely asserting their rights.

The Trump administration has backed Mr. Guaidó, including — appropriately — through the use of tough new economic sanctions aimed at pressuring the Maduro regime to cede power, or persuading the Venezuelan military to oust him itself. Possibly, Tuesday’s events are a sign that Mr. Trump’s policy is succeeding; or, possibly, that there is nothing left of it but desperate measures. A hopeful sign was the immediate and unequivocal backing Mr. Guaidó received from six South American nations, including Venezuela’s four largest neighbors: Colombia, Ecuador, Brazil and Peru. By working closely with these countries, and not by intervening militarily, the Trump administration may increase the chances that Mr. López’s declaration Tuesday — “It’s time to conquer freedom” — proves out.

Read more: https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/dont-call-it-a-coup-venezue...

Views: 13

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Russia is putting missiles in Venezuela. Reminds me of the Cuban Missile crisis. I'm thinking we are going to end up involved soon.

This from Lindsey Graham tell me so.

Lindsey Graham

@LindseyGrahamSC
21h21 hours ago

Cuba, Russia send troops to prop Maduro up in Venezuela…….while we talk/sanction.

Where is our aircraft carrier?

The US Troops going into Venezuela is very concerning. We will be fighting a war with Russia, Cuba and China. Not Good!

Guaidó Considering U.S. Military Option Alongside Venezuela Forces

In an exclusive interview with The Washington Post, Guaidó suggested that he expected Maduro to step down amid a groundswell of defectors within the military. Instead, Guaidó’s call for the rank and file and senior brass to abandon Maduro did not produce mass defections. Maduro’s security forces then quelled street protests and left Guaidó’s U.S.-backed opposition on its heels.

Juan Guaidó acknowledged errors made in attempting to stir a military uprising, and did not discard a U.S. military option in Venezuela alongside domestic forces — saying he would take any such offer from Washington to a vote in the country’s National Assembly.

In a tweet, Guaido said: “This is the desire of a people who today mobilized civically, peacefully and steadfastly to tell their armed force that it was time to speak out in favor of the cessation of usurpation, transition and free elections.”

https://saraacarter.com/guaido-considering-u-s-military-option-alon...

RSS

Attention:

Please view our mission, policy, and legal disclaimer to learn about us by visiting the main menu.  Thank you.

PLEASE SIGN THE PETITION!

BRING BACK #HUAC

http://bit.ly/2mqIVmH 

CONTACT CONGRESS!

Let your voice be counted!

House:  http://1.usa.gov/mHZjgo

Senate:  http://1.usa.gov/3UAs

PLEASE PRAY FOR OUR NATION.

national debt

Founders' Corner

Latest Activity

Jodi180 replied to Lynn Rackoski's discussion ICE Prepares for Mass Deportations, Acting Director Admits ‘We Have No Choice’
"So, our DHS Sec is the leaker.  Awesome.  An article from PJMedia wrote: You can't…"
yesterday
Robin replied to Lynn Rackoski's discussion ICE Prepares for Mass Deportations, Acting Director Admits ‘We Have No Choice’
"Tom Homan accuses acting DHS Sec Kevin McAleenan of resisting ICE raids & leaking locations to…"
Sunday
Robin replied to Robin's discussion UPDATE! Wanted to let you all know!!!!! My on and off absence from the site!
"Girl, It's been over 7 weeks of pure hell here. I feel like I have PTSD or something. I'm…"
Sunday
Jerseygal replied to Robin's discussion UPDATE! Wanted to let you all know!!!!! My on and off absence from the site!
"Robin, you are all in my prayers.  <3  I don’t know how you do it! "
Sunday
Jerome replied to Robin's discussion Secretary of State Mike Pompeo delivered the Trafficking in Persons report, Human trafficking in America among worst in world
"It never ceases to amaze me.  Authorities can tell us how many people are trafficked and from…"
Sunday
Robin replied to Barbara Leypoldt's discussion Trump drops Mexico tariff threat after deal on migrants
"How about this! Wow! Another Trump win! A Mexican government official said their country would meet…"
Sunday
Robin posted a discussion

Secretary of State Mike Pompeo delivered the Trafficking in Persons report, Human trafficking in America among worst in world

The United States is again ranked as one of the worst countries in the world for human trafficking.…See More
Sunday
Robin replied to Robin's discussion US Navy Dispatches Destroyer After Apparent Torpedo Attack Near Iran
"Donald Trump Confirms Decision to Call Off Military Strike on Iran President Donald Trump confirmed…"
Sunday
Robin replied to Luis522's discussion MAGA2020: ORLANDO, FL
"I am very thankful that Trump is president! I also love the fact he drives the left insane. He has…"
Sunday
Robin replied to Luis522's discussion MAGA2020: ORLANDO, FL
"Trump hosts 'MAGA' rally in Fort Myers, Florida Video of Rally…"
Sunday
Robin liked Luis522's discussion MAGA2020: ORLANDO, FL
Sunday
Robin replied to Robin's discussion UPDATE! Wanted to let you all know!!!!! My on and off absence from the site!
"Thank you so much, Justfolk! It sure is an ongoing stresser for sure. Rick's dad is no on…"
Sunday
Justfolk commented on Watchman's blog post The Dark Agenda of the LGBT
"Thank you. Out here in Kalifornivsky it is outrageously blatant very day and the Gay Pride Parades,…"
Saturday
Justfolk replied to Robin's discussion UPDATE! Wanted to let you all know!!!!! My on and off absence from the site!
"So very sorry to hear you all are dealing with such hard medical issues. My prayers are with each…"
Saturday
kwicgov55 liked Lynn Rackoski's discussion ICE Prepares for Mass Deportations, Acting Director Admits ‘We Have No Choice’
Saturday
kwicgov55 liked Luis522's discussion MAGA2020: ORLANDO, FL
Saturday

© 2019   Fundamental Refounding.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service