Autistic Student Playing With ‘Imaginary Rifle’ Handcuffed By Police At Elementary School

INSANITY! Autistic Student Playing With ‘Imaginary Rifle’ Handcuffed By Police At Elementary School

Twelve-year-old Autistic Student David Sims Handcuffed At School (facebook)

What has our world come to?Handcuff a 5th grader at school? They say they really want to help this young man, so they proceed with what is sure to be one of his life’s most terrifying moments that was absolutely unnecessary.

According to ijr.com:

A fifth grade Texas student with autism was handcuffed and hauled away by police this week after playing with an “imaginary rifle” at school. Twelve-year-old David Sims brandished his “weapon” at his art teacher, who felt threatened.

“She [CISD Police Officer] just put handcuffs on me and told me I need to go with her,” the boy said after the ordeal.

“They just said, ‘We don’t tolerate that. We take it as a threat,’” his mother Amy said. “A threat? He didn’t threaten anyone. He didn’t do anything but play.”

VIDEO: Fifth Grade Autistic Student Handcuffed and Hauled Away By Police

According to the concerned mother, the school didn’t notify her of the incident until after her son was in police custody. She insisted that her autistic son didn’t understand that “make believe” gunplay was considered inappropriate behavior.

“Being put in handcuffs, not knowing what he did wrong, I could have had a talk with him and told him look, ‘I know you like to play guns, but you can’t do it in school,’” she said.

David spent over two hours at the Juvenile Detention Center, but Montgomery County Attorney J.D. Lambright indicated that charges would likely not come given the boy’s age and disability, saying, “We want to get them turned around and on the right path.”

According to him, David’s brandished the imaginary weapon before a verbal threat. In at least one previous occasion, David brandished an imaginary gun in class. Lambright also said David wasn’t the only one to draw police attention, as other students in the area reportedly had troubling outbursts after the shooting in Parkland, Florida.

“Right after the Florida incident, we were getting two a day, three a day and it wasn’t isolated to any particular school,” Lambert said. “We have six school districts in Montgomery County and they were coming in across the County.”

David has since been ordered to attend an alternative disciplinary school for the rest of his Spring semester. His mother believes he’s being discriminated against.

“Because he’s disabled, they automatically think he’s got something mental, so he might go shoot up a school,” she said.”

http://libertyparkpress.com/insanity-autistic-student-playing-with-...

Views: 20

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

In Texas?!  People have lost their damn minds.

AMEN!  Texas or not.

That’s insane.  What overkill.  First it was high capacity pop tarts....now it’s imaginary weapons?  All that aside, I know a few parents with autistic kids.  His mom, knowing he loved to play ‘guns,’ really should have reminded him daily that he couldn’t do it in school.  That’s one of things I’ve noticed, these kids need constant reinforcement and reminding on what is ok and what is not.   Did the mother miss the memos about how really insane the schools are these days? 

For me, it raises the question: Who is REALLY the parent in today's culture?  Is it mom & dad or the principle and teachers and aides and support staff?

Great point.   The reality is that parents have ceded their role to the state over the last two or three generations.

My youngest attended a parochial school thru sixth grade, and we still noticed some left leanings in his lessons.  My older son, when required to watch Al Gore’s movie, asked if he could have 30 minutes of rebuttal, resulting in his excusal from class that day. I suppose the teacher wasn’t interested in the exchange of ideas.  As for my girls, the oldest was the only first grader who voted for Reagan in the mock 1980 presidential election.  She cried, what first grader wanted to be the only dissenting vote? Well, Reagan’s win helped her learn to be gracious in winning, and made me realize that my influence was greater than her teacher’s and peers.  My younger daughter is fiscally conservative, and socially liberal...a work in progress, I suppose! 

The whole idea of ‘don’t play with play guns’ in public is ridiculous.  ALL my kids had play guns, and ALL of them had mock shootouts in the yard, or house on rainy days! I was a willing participant in their fantasy.  It was good for them on a few levels, and all of them have a healthy respect for firearms and none of them are shooting up anything.  Where we are today is a result of lack of parenting where the child isn’t taught fantasy from reality.  If the child is untethered to any stability, they miss out on those crucial lessons that embrace childhood fantasies, and the differences between those and realities.  

As far as I can tell, your kids were raised by two parents and THAT is difficult enough.  However, since our society has chosen to de-emphasize the benefits of traditional two parent households, those who now chose to raise their children alone are at a clear disadvantage.  Why?  Because they have to do by themselves what two people would otherwise do.  Also, in our distributed society they rarely have family members immediately available to discuss new situations with or to provide emotional support. And, this is how the state becomes the partner and sometimes the surrogate parent.

As I have said many times before, the purpose of scholastic education is to train the mind to think.  Unfortunately, too many of those who are "qualified" as educators do not themselves know how to think because they have never been taught.  Lacking that, they allow propaganda to substitute for thought and a reasoned outcome.  Children of single parents (it would seem to me) are the most vulnerable to the "state" parent with the balm of canned solutions and irrational propaganda AND the authority to abuse both parent and child for taking a different path.

Every child has an imagination and every one has the right to use that imagination.  By role playing they learn the outcomes that they like and the ones they do not like.  There is no greater teacher about reality than the exercise of imagination.  It helps us learn about the limits of many aspects of our world.

Excellent points, especially about what children can learn from imaginative play!  You are absolutely right about the two-parent households.  The left is patient.  I posted this a few years ago, and it’s worth reading again! Particularly numbers 16, 17, 40, 41 and 42.  It gives me chills. We literally ARE at the brink.

http://fundamentalrefounding.ning.com/profiles/blogs/the-communist-...

I wish I could argue successfully against where you think we are.  However, .....

I know....it’s times like this where my husband says I’m a ‘crepe hanger.’

This is unbelievable. Traumatize an autistic kid for being a kid! I swear I would sure their pants off. 

RSS

Attention:

Please view our mission, policy, and legal disclaimer to learn about us by visiting the main menu.  Thank you.

PLEASE SIGN THE PETITION!

BRING BACK #HUAC

http://bit.ly/2mqIVmH 

CONTACT CONGRESS!

Let your voice be counted!

House:  http://1.usa.gov/mHZjgo

Senate:  http://1.usa.gov/3UAs

PLEASE PRAY FOR OUR NATION.

national debt

Founders' Corner

Latest Activity

JeansBrother posted discussions
2 hours ago
JeansBrother replied to Barbara Leypoldt's discussion Mexico’s Next President Just Called on His Citizens to INVADE the United States
"I'm on my way with a song (from the South) in my heart!  Zip-a-de-do-da Zip-a-de-day My…"
14 hours ago
Robin replied to Barbara Leypoldt's discussion Mexico’s Next President Just Called on His Citizens to INVADE the United States
"LOL JB. :))) I will even go to the border and help them get them out of our country. Come with me,…"
15 hours ago
JeansBrother replied to Barbara Leypoldt's discussion Mexico’s Next President Just Called on His Citizens to INVADE the United States
"Right on, Robin!!"
17 hours ago
Robin posted a photo

The Stalker! Just like clockwork

It must be a sad existence that this person must stalk our site DAILY at around exactly the same…
17 hours ago
Robin replied to Barbara Leypoldt's discussion Mexico’s Next President Just Called on His Citizens to INVADE the United States
"I am all for this! That's what should happen. Free up our judicial system, save us a ton of…"
17 hours ago
JeansBrother replied to Fundamental Refounding's discussion Revolution and Worse to Come! When legal bloodhounds and baying critics fail to take out Trump, what’s next? The Resistance wants Trump’s head — on the chopping block.
"I have.  Where are they getting these useful idiots and who is controlling them?"
yesterday
Robin replied to Fundamental Refounding's discussion FBI Agent Peter Strzok Welcomes Opportunity To Testify To Congress Will Not Plead the Fifth…
"No. Just means he can no longer access anything in the FBI or any other agency."
yesterday
Jerseygal replied to Fundamental Refounding's discussion Revolution and Worse to Come! When legal bloodhounds and baying critics fail to take out Trump, what’s next? The Resistance wants Trump’s head — on the chopping block.
"Notice how every time they lose, they ratchet it up another notch?  "
yesterday
JeansBrother replied to Robin's discussion What are 20 things police officers wish they could tell you, but can't?
"Excellent list.  I am sure there are many many more things that could be listed.  I am…"
yesterday
Jerseygal replied to Robin's discussion What are 20 things police officers wish they could tell you, but can't?
"God bless our men and women in blue!  What Obama did to the law enforcement profession is the…"
yesterday
Jerseygal liked Robin's discussion What are 20 things police officers wish they could tell you, but can't?
yesterday
JeansBrother replied to Fundamental Refounding's discussion FBI Agent Peter Strzok Welcomes Opportunity To Testify To Congress Will Not Plead the Fifth…
"Does that mean that he cannot divulge classified information he may know when he is asked by and…"
yesterday
JeansBrother replied to Fundamental Refounding's discussion Revolution and Worse to Come! When legal bloodhounds and baying critics fail to take out Trump, what’s next? The Resistance wants Trump’s head — on the chopping block.
"The new tactic appears to be going after administration principals at their homes or in public…"
yesterday
Jerseygal replied to Barbara Leypoldt's discussion Mexico’s Next President Just Called on His Citizens to INVADE the United States
"Good column by Bill O’Reilly.  I do miss…"
yesterday
Jerseygal replied to Barbara Leypoldt's discussion Mexico’s Next President Just Called on His Citizens to INVADE the United States
"Summed up well.... ””Fox’s Tucker Carlson noted Thursday that Obrador has…"
yesterday

TRAFFIC

© 2018   Fundamental Refounding.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service