Trump Touts ‘Suburban Lifestyle Dream’ After Rescinding Obama-Era Rule Preventing Housing Discrimination

President Trump on Wednesday promised U.S. suburban residents that the value of their homes would not be impacted by crime or the construction of low-income housing after an Obama-era rule designed to limit housing segregation was ended last week, the culmination of years of deregulation effort by Trump and a reported appeal to suburban voters.

President Trump celebrated the end of an Obama-era rule Wednesday. ASSOCIATED PRESS
KEY FACTS

Trump tweeted early Wednesday afternoon:

“Your housing prices will go up based on the market, and crime will go down. I have rescinded the Obama-Biden AFFH Rule. Enjoy!” Trump added.

Trump is referencing the 2015 Affirmatively Further Fair Housing rule, which President Obama implemented to fight housing discrimination.

The rule required local governments receiving federal housing funds to create plans that would combat housing discrimination, which advocates said helped strengthen the 1968 Fair Housing Act.

Housing Secretary Ben Carson appears to have begun revoking the AFFH rule as of July 23, according to a press release, which means Trump’s tweets came six days after the fact.

PROMOTED

Carson called the AFFH rule “complicated, costly and ineffective,” and touted the Trump Administration’s “opportunity zone” initiative, which provides discounts on capital gains taxes for investors sending money into one of over 8,000 designated areas.

Opportunity zones have been criticized by Congress as a means of profit for wealthy real estate developers—including some tied to the current administration.

CHIEF CRITICS
Social media outcry over Trump’s tweets began almost immediately, which users described as anti-BIPOC. “Trump is a racist idiot,” tweeted Chicago Alderman Carlos Ramirez-Rosa. Leah Greenberg, executive director of congressional activist group Indivisible Team, called Trump’s tweets “an active campaign for housing segregation.”

KEY BACKGROUND
Trump’s tweets come amid decreased suburban support for his November reelection campaign, CNBC reported. The AFFH rule would effectively encourage communities to build more apartments, NPR reported, which would in turn encourage smaller wage earners to move to those areas. The rule did not, however, specifically target suburbs. The Trump administration gutted AFFH in 2018, and Carson had previously criticized the rule during a 2017 hearing. According to the New York Times, Trump‘s opportunity zones were enacted as part of his signature tax cuts in 2017. The Times reported in November 2019 that while some money went to more depressed areas in Pennsylvania and Alabama, the lion’s share has appeared in rapidly gentrifying cities like Atlanta, Houston and Miami.

TANGENT
In 1973, the Justice Department filed a civil rights case against Trump’s company, accusing him of violating the Fair Housing Act by not renting to Black tenants. The case was settled in 1975, with Trump signing an agreement that his company would not discriminate against future tenants or home buyers, as well as place ads informing minorities of their rights to obtain housing at his properties. At the time, Trump said the settlement did not mean he admitted to any wrongdoing, while the DOJ celebrated it as “one of the most far-reaching” agreements it had negotiated.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/lisettevoytko/2020/07/29/trump-touts-s...

Views: 20

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

This is such good news!

As Tome DeWeese of the American Policy Center writes:

First, as I reported to you last week, my American Policy Center (APC) won a major victory in the fight to stop HUD's AFFH. 

As know, APC has been leading the fight to stop the Obama-created Housing and Urban Development (HUD) policy called Affirmatively Furthering Fair Housing (AFFH) rule.  

AFFH is a major tool for Agenda 21/Green New Deal that destroys property rights and single-family neighborhoods – all driven through HUD grants taken by your local governments. If cities don’t comply with the AFFH rules, then the cities are punished.

For the past three years, since President Trump took office and appointed Dr. Ben Carson as director of HUD, I have been applying pressure to get rid of AFFH.

Finally, President Trump has taken that action and just announced that he is ending AFFH! That is a huge victory for homeowners and for you, me, and APC!

I was so pleased to see this too, Jodi! Huge win!

RSS

Attention:

Please view our mission, policy, and legal disclaimer to learn about us by visiting the main menu.  Thank you.

PLEASE SIGN THE PETITION!

BRING BACK #HUAC

http://bit.ly/2mqIVmH 

CONTACT CONGRESS!

Let your voice be counted!

House:  http://1.usa.gov/mHZjgo

Senate:  http://1.usa.gov/3UAs

PLEASE PRAY FOR OUR NATION.

national debt

Founders' Corner

Latest Activity

Duke posted a discussion

California

Looks like California is sliding further down the rabbit hole. Gov. Hairdo has signed a bill AB145…See More
9 hours ago
Ed replied to Watchman's discussion 10 Reasons Why I Believe Trump Will Be Reelected
"Well thought out reasons. I too believe President Trump will be elected. My biggest concern perhaps…"
yesterday
Jodi180 replied to Watchman's discussion 10 Reasons Why I Believe Trump Will Be Reelected
"All my fingers and toes...and eyes...are crossed, Watchman!"
Tuesday
Duke commented on J. Francis Roth's blog post FIND YOUR MANHOOD, AGAIN
"Never apoligize, it's a sign of weakness"
Sunday
Lawrence Brown replied to Watchman's discussion 10 Reasons Why I Believe Trump Will Be Reelected
"Ten points are correct. We did not elect perfect man we elected a man who could fix our past…"
Sunday
Jerseygal replied to Jerseygal's discussion History Is on the Side of Republicans Filling a Supreme Court Vacancy in 2020
"Worth reading the whole thing from the link.  It includes some charts to prove the points!"
Saturday
Jerseygal posted discussions
Saturday
Watchman replied to Watchman's discussion 10 Reasons Why I Believe Trump Will Be Reelected
"You're not alone. I've heard many Conservatives say the same exact thing. I debated about…"
Saturday
kwicgov55 replied to Watchman's discussion 10 Reasons Why I Believe Trump Will Be Reelected
"All very good points Watchman! I did not vote for Trump in 2016, but have watched him and realize…"
Saturday
kwicgov55 liked Watchman's discussion 10 Reasons Why I Believe Trump Will Be Reelected
Saturday
kwicgov55 liked Jerseygal's discussion Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg dead at 87
Saturday
kwicgov55 replied to Jerseygal's discussion Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg dead at 87
"I may not have agreed with her politics, but Ruth Bader Ginsberg was a fighter! She fought cancer…"
Saturday
Watchman replied to Watchman's discussion 10 Reasons Why I Believe Trump Will Be Reelected
"I've heard about that and I wouldn't lie that it doesn't concern me a little. I…"
Saturday
"I definitely think they are going to try and use voter fraud and contest the election in states…"
Saturday
Jerseygal replied to Jerseygal's discussion Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg dead at 87
"Let’s not lower ourselves and be like the liberals who cheered at Justice Scalia’s…"
Sep 18
Duke replied to Watchman's discussion 10 Reasons Why I Believe Trump Will Be Reelected
"Good to be back with the group. I like the word "bigly"! Now that Ginsburg has passed,…"
Sep 18

© 2020   Fundamental Refounding.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service