Giant hat tip to our Jodi!

The GOP’s funny farm bill

Priorities.

In case you thought that after passing a disastrous omnibus bill, Republicans would move on to fulfilling their promises on health care and immigration, you were wrong. Now it’s time for a trillion-dollar farm bill.

Keep reading....

https://www.conservativereview.com/articles/gops-funny-farm-bill/

Views: 46

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

This is a bad fit with the 10th Amendment.

It’s a bad fit with those of us who embrace personal responsibility, a pillar of our nation’s founding!

Being a dairy farming (semi-retired) family, I can speak to some of this stuff with some applied practical experience.  We were always small by today’s standards, but ‘getting up there’ by 1950s and 1960s standards.  That said, our farm was run frugally, and did actually support us with minimum, manageable, or no debt.

Ah...debt....that is the sole reason for those programs - the PLC and the ARC.  You see, many farmers had catastrophic insurance for natural disasters, or should an action by the policy holder cause harm to another (like if our load of milk contained an antibiotic or bacteria that ruined an entire tanker load of milk).  That said, these programs offer far more protection to the farmer...because today, most have such massive debt that any dip in commodity prices means they’d probably be unable to service their debt, and end up in a bankruptcy situation.

It may seem like a good thing on the surface, like mortgage insurance or something, but I don’t see it that way.  These programs make risk taking attractive, and many have abandoned all caution in favor of growth because of a government guarantee.  But what happens if all this propping up of the agricultural industry comes apart? What if it comes crashing down?  Who, then, will own the farmland, ranch land, and equipment to produce the country’s (world’s?) food?  As I see it, and fear it, the government will assume all ownership and control of it.  

Now think about how the populace in other nations fared when the government controlled the food supply.  

I welcome your thoughts on this!

I believe the pattern has been set.  Corporations will own the farms, not the government.  But, corporations may also own the government.

A more effective means of helping with farm debt might be a decrease in the interest rate at which money is owed.  So, borrow at 5% in good times and renegotiate to 4% when crops fail or the commodities markets go to hell.  This would allow small farms to keep up payments and eventually pay off the loan without creating a "welfare" farm via subsidies.

Ah, yes, it’s a welfare for LARGE farms via those subsidies, but not for small farms, unless the small farmer goes totally non traditional and does something really weird except to liberals....weird agricultural stuff is also subsidized.

OMG this is horrible. Our government is filled with those only there to get rich. They get money from lobbyists and continue doing the same things over and over. Enrich themselves at the expense of, we the people. They go to congress making 170 grand a year and are millionaires in a short period of time. We need term limits. Immediately!  

Our farmers are our food supply! What doesn't the government get about this? I totally agree with JB's statement! 

A more effective means of helping with farm debt might be a decrease in the interest rate at which money is owed. So, borrow at 5% in good times and renegotiate to 4% when crops fail or the commodities markets go to hell. This would allow small farms to keep up payments and eventually pay off the loan without creating a "welfare" farm via subsidies.

Thanks, Lynn.  You make me think I said something good.  :)

You're welcome. You did say something good. 

Info from the Heritage Foundation:

Q&A: Farm Bill Policies Benefit Wealthy Farmers, Hurt Taxpayers

"So farmers only pay a third of the premiums. That would be nice if that’s how my auto insurance worked and taxpayers paid two-thirds."

You can listen to the podcast of above interview here at the 5:18 mark

Wow, thanks Jodi!  I didn’t know it was that bad!

HOUSE PASSES PART OF FARM BILL

By a partisan vote of 216 to 208, the House Thursday passed a stripped down farm bill that leaves out its most expensive part, the Nutrition Title.

"Pass the farm bill farm bill, so that I can begin to work on the nutrition part of the farm bill next." House Agriculture Committee Chairman Frank Lucas (R-OK) told his colleagues just before the vote, which didn't get any Democratic support and was opposed by about a dozen Republicans. It was a victory for Representative Marlin Stutzman (R-IN), a fourth generation farmer who came to Congress in the Tea Party wave of 2010 and who has been working for a year to make farm programs and nutrition programs stand on their own."

"Together we can get this done and pass the first farm-only farm bill in 40 years," Stutzman said at the start of a sometimes emotional debate. The bill passed today is similar to the amended version that the House defeated on June 20, and includes a consolidated conservation title that saves $6 billion over 10 years, as well as a commodity title that ends direct payments. One key difference is that it would replace the 1949 permanent farm bill, which Lucas said was in effect when Harry Truman was President and is outdated.

https://www.agriculture.com/news/policy/house-passes-part-of-farm-b...

RSS

Attention:

Please view our mission, policy, and legal disclaimer to learn about us by visiting the main menu.  Thank you.

PLEASE SIGN THE PETITION!

BRING BACK #HUAC

http://bit.ly/2mqIVmH 

CONTACT CONGRESS!

Let your voice be counted!

House:  http://1.usa.gov/mHZjgo

Senate:  http://1.usa.gov/3UAs

PLEASE PRAY FOR OUR NATION.

national debt

Founders' Corner

Latest Activity

NativeCollector commented on Jodi180's blog post Community "Awards"
"Those services are would Ben paid with tax dollars.  What is the benefit, in the end, besides…"
10 hours ago
Robin replied to Robin's discussion UPDATES on Accuser.......Brett Kavanaugh vows to ‘keep an open mind in every case,’ after chaotic confirmation hearing day
"Big giant pack of lies! Kavanaugh Accuser's Classmate Deletes Claim that Everyone Knew of…"
10 hours ago
Robin replied to Fundamental Refounding's discussion James O’Keefe Releases 1st Undercover video — DEEP STATE SHOULD BE WORRIED!
"State Department Responds to New Project Veritas ‘Deep State Unmasked’ Video A…"
10 hours ago
Robin replied to Fundamental Refounding's discussion TRUMP ORDERS DECLASSIFICATION OF DOJ, FBI DOCUMENTS
"These people are evil. What makes me happy is they are scared to death! Brennan: FBI Has…"
11 hours ago
NativeCollector liked Jodi180's blog post Community "Awards"
11 hours ago
Robin replied to Doug Fox's discussion Intelligence Community White Hats
11 hours ago
JeansBrother commented on Jodi180's blog post Community "Awards"
"Mr Mayor, how did you break your arm? I was patting myself on the back!"
11 hours ago
Doug Fox liked Doug Fox's discussion Intelligence Community White Hats
11 hours ago
Robin commented on Jodi180's blog post Community "Awards"
"Wow, Jodi. Isn't it sad that there never is truth in anything having to do with government, be…"
11 hours ago
Robin liked Jodi180's blog post Community "Awards"
11 hours ago
Robin replied to Doug Fox's discussion Intelligence Community White Hats
11 hours ago
Robin replied to Jodi180's discussion Peter Stzrok: 'This is horribly wrong'
"I know, right? LOL"
12 hours ago
Robin replied to Fundamental Refounding's discussion James O’Keefe Releases 1st Undercover video — DEEP STATE SHOULD BE WORRIED!
"DOJ looking into 'concerning' behavior by employee in Project Veritas…"
12 hours ago
"James O'Keefe Video number 2 Deep State Unmasked: Leaks at HHS; DOJ Official Resists…"
12 hours ago
Jodi180 posted a blog post

Community "Awards"

Some fun facts:In last month’s newsletter, our mayor wrote about some ‘exciting news’.  The…See More
15 hours ago
Jodi180 replied to Jodi180's discussion Peter Stzrok: 'This is horribly wrong'
"Too good NOT to share!"
18 hours ago

TRAFFIC

© 2018   Fundamental Refounding.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service