‘Public Shaming’ Mailer Cruz’s Campaign Sent to an Iowa Voter That Has Him Planning to Caucus For Rubio (UPDATE: Iowa Secretary of State Responds)

I said I would post things on ANY candidate that I didn't like, sooooo, here it is!

I don't know WHO'S idea inside the campaign it was to do this! I didn't like this at all and it upset me immensely! He did not need to do this kind of thing. I still support him at this point, but, if I got one of these in the mail it would hack me off! This is the kind of thing I do not like to see and frankly, Ted did not need to do this!    

Ted Hinkeldey is quick to admit that he has been a little detached from the presidential campaigns that have descended on his home state of Iowa.

However, despite his lack of active engagement in the election, he did not expect to receive a mailer marked with “voting violation” from Texas Sen. Ted Cruz’s campaign.

“You are receiving this election notice because of low expected voter turnout in your area,” the mailer said. “Your individual voting history as well as your neighbors’ are public record. Their scores are published below, and many of them will see your score as well. Caucus on Monday to improve your score and please encourage your neighbors to caucus as well.”

Tom Hinkeldey said he was "irked" to get this mailer from the Cruz campaign in mail. Hinkeldey now plans to caucus in Iowa for Florida Sen. Marco Rubio. (Image provided to TheBlaze.)

Tom Hinkeldey said he was “irked” to get this mailer from the Cruz campaign. Hinkeldey now plans to caucus in Iowa for Florida Sen. Marco Rubio. (Image provided to TheBlaze.)

In an interview with TheBlaze Saturday, Hinkeldey, 29, said the mailer worked — but not in Cruz’s favor.

“I probably was not going to go caucus. I never was going to be a Ted Cruz supporter,” Hinkeldey said, adding that he’s followed Marco Rubio “a little bit here and there” and will caucus for the Florida senator on Monday.

On the report card-style mailer, Hinkeldey and all of his neighbors received a “F” grade. He added that his neighbors in the small town in northwest Iowa are “good people,” despite the low voter score.

“I get that we’re in a critical time for politicians’ time in Iowa. I just felt like it’s such a weird way to get voters to caucus for them,” he said. “I haven’t donated [money to campaigns]; I haven’t done much. I do plan to caucus for Marco because Ted encouraged me to.”

Rick Tyler, a spokesperson for Cruz’s campaign, confirmed to TheBlaze that the mailers were indeed sent out by the campaign — despite what people on social media have claimed.

Hinkeldey said ever since he first tweeted a photo of the mailer — which he has since deleted — and accused Cruz’s campaign of “pubic shaming,” hoards of people on social media have asserted that he doctored the image or he isn’t a real person. Hinkeldey denies all of those accusations.

According to Real Clear Politics’ aggregated polling data, business mogul Donald Trump has a slim lead over Cruz in Iowa. Trump is polling at 31.4 percent, and Cruz is polling at 24.8 percent.

UPDATE 6:16 p.m. ET: Paul D. Pate, Iowa’s secretary of state, issued a statement Saturday saying that Ted Cruz’s campaign mailer “misrepresents Iowa election law.”

“Today I was shown a piece of literature from the Cruz for President campaign that misrepresents the role of my office, and worse, misrepresents Iowa election law,” the statement read. “Accusing citizens of Iowa of a ‘voting violation’ based on Iowa Caucus participation, or lack thereof, is false representation of an official act. There is no such thing as an election violation related to frequency of voting. Any insinuation or statement to the contrary is wrong and I believe it is not in keeping in the spirit of the Iowa Caucuses.”

The statement continued: “Additionally, the Iowa Secretary of State’s Office never ‘grades’ voters. Nor does the Secretary of State maintain records related to Iowa Caucus participation. Caucuses are organized and directed by the state political parties, not the Secretary of State, nor local elections officials. Also, the Iowa Secretary of State does not ‘distribute’ voter records. They are available for purchase for political purposes only, under Iowa Code.”

http://www.theblaze.com/stories/2016/01/30/see-the-public-shaming-m...

Views: 588

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I don't know JB.  I know I would not appreciate it regardless of my voting record.  I am a private person.  My initial response was so negative, I might have gotten in someone's face over it.  That probably would have made news too.  lol

I appreciate your sentiments! 

I grew up with so much privacy that I doubt I could ever tolerate public shaming or shunning.  Perhaps 50 years from now when computers interpret our thoughts by reading brainwaves those people will wonder what true privacy is like.  For them, it might be scary to not be part of the hive.

I find it disgusting, particularly the list of neighbors' voting scores. Between that and the implication that not going to caucus was some how against the law, the Cruz mailing went beyond what the others have done. That said, I do have to wonder if the people of Iowa are in fact 'stupid,' as the least favorite candidate said recently. It seems the citizenry there is quite tolerant of this sort of electioneering.

Lots of data is public record, but isn't public knowledge.

Well, I see many things that don't make much sense to me JG like 45% are still undecided.  Maybe they say that because they do not want to say for whom they will vote.  The other thing I saw was how many of the Freedom Caucus endorsed Cruz at the last minute.  Tea Party Patriots endorsed Cruz on Saturday.  Pastors and other religious leaders endorsed Cruz this past weekend as well.  I have no idea why they did not stagger this out earlier so Cruz could get traction from the news of it.  Perhaps they did not want to get attacked by Trump or his internet brown shirts, and figured by the time he learned of it, they would be moving on to NH so he wouldn't focus on them.  I see a lot of dumb things in general with all of it.

If anyone here is shocked at 'what they know' about us ...how and whether we vote is the least of it.  Putting all of our 'stuff' out there to be used for or against us will be, and most likely is, the new norm.  I'm assuming sometime time down the road, I'll be 'shamed' because of, or lack of, what I do.

Can they shame anyone for being a tea-bagging, climate denier who's a xenaphobe, homophobe, Islamaphobe who hates big government and clings to their bibles and guns?  Wait until that list 'becomes public'.  

But if anyone thinks Cruz's people are the only one doing this sort of thing is dreaming.  I have a feeling it's only going to get worse.

Welcome to politics.  Public shaming isn't even the worst of it.

And no, this doesn't change my mind about who I want for our next president.

Jodi, I am definitely not shocked by what they know.  I am very well aware of how much they can acquire.  I also know exactly the kind of animals that have access to it all.  If Trump wins, I think I may go live in a yurt.  lol  He'll probably try to eminent domain me out of that though too. 

Good one....(had to look up 'yurt' :)

Rubio sent out a similar one over the weekend.

Yes, he did! It didn't have the same info that Cruz's did, so I guess that makes it fine, right? I don't know what to say any more. My first choice is Cruz because he did go to DC and do what he said he would do. He is hated by his own party, he is hated by the left as well, along with the media. I think he is our best chance to turn things around. I could also vote for Rubio except I don't like his previous gang of 8 amnesty! The last one I could vote for is Rand! That about sums up how I feel! I'm totally disgusted right now! I hope Trump is trounced tonight! I will NEVER vote for a Progressive! Ever!  Did I say ever? Yup, I did! 

I have to defend Rubio here. His didn't include information about the recipients neighbors, nor did it imply that not going to caucus was breaking a law. Cruz's did. Then Cruz is quoted below the little lead in paragraph.

"But the tone of the Rubio message is sharply different from that of the Cruz effort, which appeared designed to mimic a government mailer and accused voters of a “voting violation.” It also included information on voters’ neighbors, drawing privacy concerns. The Cruz message drew condemnation from Iowa’s secretary of state, but the candidate defended the tactic Saturday.

“I will apologize to nobody for using every tool we can to encourage Iowans to come out and vote,” Cruz told reporters. "
http://time.com/4201580/marco-rubio-iowa-mailer/

That sounds pretty arrogant, when the tool shares your info with your neighbors, just as an added nudge. It may be legal, but it sure was not ethical. I said earlier, deal breaker for me. The following solidified that broken deal for me.

Then the Cruz camp lies about Carson's status in the race, and encourages Carson voters to switch to Cruz. When democrats do this crap to Republicans, we are all disgusted.

I'm done with Cruz.

Re: the Cruz/Carson dustup

Although Cruz's apology seemed to be sincere, my first question for his supporters is this:  Do you believe everything you read online?

Most who post on this site do not do so from unreliable sources.  You would think that with the credibility of a presidential candidate at stake, the standards of proof might be a tad higher.

You are 100% correct that Rubio's didn't include what Cruz's did! He is still my first choice! I do not like what was done by the Cruz campaign at all! Stated that many times.  I sure hope he does NOT do that again. He doesn't need to resort to those tactics! The very Sec of State that condemned Cruz for the mailer, did the same darn thing himself! That part of politics makes me sick to my stomach! 

Cruz is the most conservative of them all as I see it. He is rated the most conservative. I also said I would and could vote for Rubio! I think he is quite smart and knows the issues and I think he will reduce the size of government and he will protect the country! His views on amnesty concern me a lot!  

As for the whole Carson thing! It was started by CNN! The whole thing was a huge mistake by CNN after they got word from the Carson campaign that he was taking a break and going to go home to FL! It was picked up by Steve King of Iowa who tweeted it out from CNN!  

This is from CNN

My tweet to Carson

Steve King of Iowa and what he tweeted after the CNN mess from Chris Moody of CNN

And Moody's tweet

So by CNN making it look and sound like Carson was going to be out, any campaign would want to pick up those voters. Cruz apologized to Carson for the confusion on Hannity last night. The Carson campaign should not have been so vague when they put out a statement that he would be going home after Iowa and not go to NH! IMO!  CNN ran with that! 

I will never tell anyone who to vote for. I just know who I won't vote for in this election. This is our last chance.  

RSS

Attention:

Please view our mission, policy, and legal disclaimer to learn about us by visiting the main menu.  Thank you.

PLEASE SIGN THE PETITION!

AGENDA 21/2030

http://bit.ly/2mqIVmH 

CONTACT CONGRESS!

Let your voice be counted!

House:  http://1.usa.gov/mHZjgo

Senate:  http://1.usa.gov/3UAs

PLEASE PRAY FOR OUR NATION.

national debt

Founders' Corner

Latest Activity

Ruthann liked Robin's blog post Calif. Lady Moves to Red State, Suddenly Sends Unexpected Message to Lib Friends Back Home
3 hours ago
JeansBrother replied to Robin's discussion How Prepared Are You? Just Enough...Ready For Almost Anything.. or... See You When the Dust Settles.
"I'm glad we still have a few fighters left in America."
4 hours ago
Robin replied to Robin's discussion How Prepared Are You? Just Enough...Ready For Almost Anything.. or... See You When the Dust Settles.
"If anything major happens, I won't be leaving my house. I am a "see you when the dust…"
5 hours ago
Robin replied to JeansBrother's discussion Heritage Foundation -- Member Briefing 9/22/2017
"The GOP swamp critters will do everything they can to obstruct this administration. I don't…"
5 hours ago
Robin liked JeansBrother's discussion Heritage Foundation -- Member Briefing 9/22/2017
5 hours ago
Robin replied to Fundamental Refounding's discussion Sen. John McCain a 'No' On Graham-Cassidy
"He should go. Nothing but a leftie in sheeps clothing. "
5 hours ago
Robin replied to JeansBrother's discussion NRA-ILA GRASSROOTS VOLUME 24, NUMBER 38
"Thanks for posting, JB! Tweeting it out to the masses"
5 hours ago
Robin liked JeansBrother's discussion NRA-ILA GRASSROOTS VOLUME 24, NUMBER 38
5 hours ago
JeansBrother posted discussions
yesterday
JeansBrother replied to Robin's discussion How Prepared Are You? Just Enough...Ready For Almost Anything.. or... See You When the Dust Settles.
"Interesting summary.  I suggest that the best survival posture involves what you can carry on…"
yesterday
Rick posted a discussion

Iran releases video of new ballistic missile being test-fired

Iran’s state media showed video Friday of the successful test-launch of a new ballistic missile…See More
yesterday
Robin posted discussions
yesterday
kwicgov55 liked Rahthrae (Admin.)'s discussion Simple Creation of a Personal Portable Microgrid
Saturday
JeansBrother replied to Fundamental Refounding's discussion Sen. John McCain a 'No' On Graham-Cassidy
"Now, now.  John McCain is a principled man.  He always acts on his principles when they…"
Saturday
Lynn Rackoski replied to Fundamental Refounding's discussion Sen. John McCain a 'No' On Graham-Cassidy
"McCain is a vile critter. "
Saturday
Lynn Rackoski liked Fundamental Refounding's discussion Sen. John McCain a 'No' On Graham-Cassidy
Saturday

TRAFFIC

© 2017   Fundamental Refounding.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service