IronPigs add deep-fried broccoli to menu in response to anti-bacon billboard

The Iron Pigs are a minor league baseball team, I think part of the Phillies farm system. I learned about this one because I stream a radio station from the Lehigh Valley to hear Rush on my lunch break. Apparently it did make national news ~ a spot with FoxBusinessNetwork, with Stu Varney. We need more of this kind response to the food police! I love it!!!

Follow the link to see the picture of the billboard.

The IronPigs are adding deep-fried broccoli to the menu at Coca-Cola Park.

The Physicians Committee for Responsible Medicine on Monday unveiled an Allentown billboard urging the Lehigh Valley IronPigs to ditch bacon.

The Washington, D.C.-based nonprofit organization also encouraged the team to include broccoli in the lineup of mascots who race during each game. At present, the mascot race features pork products; Chris P. Bacon, Diggity (the hot dog) and Hambone are regular participants.

But rather than put broccoli in the race, the IronPigs decided to put it on the menu at Coca-Cola Park. Of course, the team's take on broccoli probably isn't what the Physicians Committee envisioned.

The IronPigs announced Wednesday that "deep-fried, bacon-cheddar broccoli bites" will make their debut on April 23, kicking off an eight-game home stand. Each bite is a combination of broccoli florets, bacon, sweet onions and crisp potato breading.

The addition of broccoli bites to the park menu is a direct response to the Physicians Committee' latest attack on the IronPigs deep and abiding affection for bacon and all things pork. The group paid for an anti-bacon billboard in 2014, too.

That year marked the launch of the IronPigs' "Smell the Change," which saw the team putting bacon strips on its uniforms and merchandise. This year, the 'Pigs doubled-down on bacon with "Bacon USA" theme.

The IronPigs noted in Wednesday's announcement that in addition to bacon on a stick and 2-foot-long hot dogs, a number of healthy foods are served at Coca-Cola Park, such as fresh fruit, salads, black bean burgers, bean burritos and an assortment of gluten-free products.

"We believe in bacon and think that as part of a balanced diet, it is a tremendous healthy food option," IronPigs General Manager Kurt Landes said in a prepared statement. Bacon, he said, is a source of vitamins B and D, niacin, protein and other nutrients.

"Ultimately, though, our organization is not in the business of dictating to people what they should or shouldn't eat as that decision should be left to each individual and their family."

Precious Petty may be reached at ppetty@express-times.com. Follow her on Twitter @precpetty. Find Lehigh County news on Facebook.

http://www.lehighvalleylive.com/allentown/index.ssf/2015/04/lehigh_...

Views: 139

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I love this!!  Great story.

Yeah, me too!

Leave my bacon alone! Bacon is GOOD for you! 

Top 10 Reasons Bacon Is Actually HEALTHY For You!

Here is a list of the Top 10 Reasons why bacon is actually healthy for you!

Pork-Powered Protein: The protein found in bacon is extremely valuable to maintaining our energy levels and a fully functioning, healthy body, with a minimum of those nasty, waist, thigh and butt expanding, fat-building carbohydrates.

Bacon’s Blood-Balancing Bounty: Several university and medical center studies have shown that including bacon as a regular, moderate part of one’s diet naturally works to lower the body’s blood pressure and blood sugar levels, helping to prevent and/or alleviate the effects of diabetes, as well as heart disease, stroke and heart attack.

Flushing Fat With Flavorful, Friendly Flesh: While people have heard horror stories for years that bacon is full of harmful fat and after all, if you are what you eat, who wants to be a PIG? But the facts are completely the opposite, as bacon helps to fully satiate our appetite with high protein / low carb energy, helping the body lose weight, raise one’s metabolism and build leaner, stronger muscles.

Bacon actually has less total fat, saturated fat and cholesterol than many popular cuts of beef and chicken. While some fish has less fat and cholesterol than bacon, bacon has more protein power and does not contain toxins such as mercury.

Bacon’s Brain Building Business: Bacon is chock full of a very important nutrient called “choline,” which helps increase our intelligence and memory, from conception to Senior Status, and has been shown in University studies to help fight off the debilitating effects of Alzheimer’s Disease and other chronic mental impairments.

Bacon Lets You “Pig Out” On Essential Vitamins & Minerals: Bacon provides us with substantial amounts of the important, necessary vitamins and minerals our bodies need to function healthfully. From bacon, we receive: 65% of our Recommended Daily Intake of Thiamin (Vitamin B1) as well as 47% of our Niacin (Vitamin B3), 38% of our Vitamin B12, 36% of our Zinc, 24% of our Vitamin B6, 22% of our Riboflavin (Vitamin B2), 22% of our Phosphorus, 10% of our Pantothenate, 10% of our Magnesium, 9% of our Iron and the Protein to fat balance in bacon is actually 4 to 1, which is one of the highest protein to fat balances found in any meat, fish or fowl found on Earth.

Effective Mood Elevator: Bacon makes you feel happy, satisfied, blissful, which greatly reduces stress in our lives and effectively relieves the negative effects of frustration, self-deprivation and sense of lack in one’s existence.

Nitrates and Nitrites – Now Non-Issues: The fact is, while it is true that nitrates and nitrites are unhealthy for your body, what most pro -veggie, chicken and fish nutritionists fail to tell you is that you can easily avoid nitrates and nitrites by simply (A) not burning / charring / over cooking your bacon or by (B) Baking your bacon in the oven.

Some people also choose to avoid nitrates and nitrites by (C) cooking their bacon in the microwave, however, some medical research shows a strong correlation between microwaved proteins (all meats and proteins, from beef to fish, from cheese to eggs and even milk) and cancers caused by protein mutation under the conditions of microwave bombardment, so we recommend using the oven, 400 degrees, 8 to 10 minutes per side.

P.S. if you always include some dairy and citrus in your bacon meal, the vitamins A, D and E work to effectively prevent conversion of “nitrates and nitrites into dangerously toxic “nitrosamines” in the stomach, rendering them harmless to the body.

Bacon Power Now Expands To Our Vehicles and Industry: Yes, believe it or not, a company in The United Kingdom, TMI Foods has already successfully found a way to use bacon fat and grease to manufacture a powerful, low emission, environmentally friendly, all-natural, bio-diesel fuel that can be used to effectively and inexpensively run anything from motor vehicles to turbines and from the various engines of industry to illuminating and empowering generators. That’s right … Pig Power now also means “Power To The People!”

Universally Beloved Flavor Enhancer: Because bacon tastes so amazingly awesome, we’re a LOT more willing to set many of our finicky ways aside to enthusiastically eat many of the boring, icky, lackluster, so-called, “healthy, nutritious food items” that are supposedly good for us, as long as they come wrapped in bacon or with lots of bacon bits broken up and served with or within them.

While We Heart Bacon – Bacon Heart’s Your Heart: While people over the years have mistakenly made jokes about bacon being a leading contributor to heart disease, actually there are in fact several studies that show that the Omega-3 Fatty Acids and “choline” found in bacon can actually protect the heart from developing detrimental problems, as well as actually help HEAL such anomalies, after they have occurred!

Unlike the Omega-3 Fatty Acids supplements derived from fish sources, the ones that come from bacon aren’t chock full of poisonous mercury, like most of the popular fish oil versions are. So bacon Omega-3’s can not only help prevent heart disease, as well as lower your cholesterol, reduce inflammation and improve circulation, but also help you to avoid mercury and other toxic poisons being regularly spewed into our planet’s oceans.

http://bacontoday.com/top-10-reasons-bacon-is-actually-healthy-for-...

Robin, I sent that to the IronPigs!

Awesome, JG! 

Good stuff Robin.  If one sticks around long enough, they find that things that were said to be healthy are not, and things said to be unhealthy are.  What I have learned over time is that most things are good for you in moderation, and nothing seems good in extreme.  Too much red meat is bad, but I hear that too much fish can give you mercury poisoning.  And I for one, know at least one vegetarian that died young and several people who would drink and smoke all the way to age 99.

I say, if you want to live long, get rid of Obama and his Muslim extremist and Planned Parenthood friends.  Some people do not live long at all with these killers.

One movie had a great line on this.  A person in a firing range facing a firing squad was asked if he wanted a last cigarette.  He said no, that it would be bad for his health.  Yes, as the left tells our kids that homosexual sex is fine, even though male homosexual sex is the leading cause of AIDs and perhaps each day 23 die from AIDs whereas less than one person a day dies from civilian rifle, well, we should learn not to listen to these self appointed fools.  I say, if they are dumb enough to vote for Obama, they should not be listened to for anything.

Thanks, RN! You're right.. Just like they said coffee was bad, now it's good for you! Along with so many other food items! They used to say eat low-fat foods. Well, they contain all kinds of chemicals for processing. 

I eat meats and veggies, fish occasionally, eggs, bacon, I drink coffee like crazy, don't eat sugar. Im kind of a low carb kinda girl! 

Now this is an article you can really sink your teeth into. Amen to bacon !

Amen! It's BACON! Everything is better with BACON. :)

I absolutely LOVE this!  How refreshing is, 'we're not in the business of dictating'?

I think I'm gonna go find me some IronPigs merchandise!!

BTW....who DOESN'T love bacon?

Oh, wait....Yabbadabbadu, as Levin says.

Thanks for the tid, JG.

Saw the tid today! Thanks for the hat tip! I'm headed to PA this weekend, and I plan on stopping in their store to get at least a cap and a fridge magnet.

RSS

Attention:

Please view our mission, policy, and legal disclaimer to learn about us by visiting the main menu.  Thank you.

PLEASE SIGN THE PETITION!

AGENDA 21/2030

http://bit.ly/2mqIVmH 

CONTACT CONGRESS!

Let your voice be counted!

House:  http://1.usa.gov/mHZjgo

Senate:  http://1.usa.gov/3UAs

PLEASE PRAY FOR OUR NATION.

national debt

Founders' Corner

Latest Activity

Robin posted discussions
2 hours ago
Lynn Rackoski posted a discussion
3 hours ago
Fundamental Refounding posted a discussion

USS Gerald R. Ford Commissioning

Trump says military "bigger, better, stronger" at USS Gerald R. Ford commissioningPresident Trump…See More
4 hours ago
Robin replied to JeansBrother's discussion Healthcare RINOs
"All the RINOS are going to be targeted for replacement! Enough is enough! The people are beyond…"
12 hours ago
Robin liked JeansBrother's discussion Healthcare RINOs
12 hours ago
Robin replied to Rick's discussion Mueller Expands Probe to Trump Business Transactions... Out of Control
"Mark Levin: Mueller Investigation Is Pretext To Impeachment Content originally published…"
12 hours ago
JeansBrother posted discussions
12 hours ago
Robin replied to Robin's discussion The House Freedom Caucus has declared all-out war on #Obamacare.
"Well said, Jerome! Government needs to repeal it totally. Get out and let the free market work."
14 hours ago
Robin replied to Robin's discussion The House Freedom Caucus has declared all-out war on #Obamacare.
"I agree, Doug! This is so very frustrating. Great to see you, btw!"
14 hours ago
Jerome replied to Robin's discussion The House Freedom Caucus has declared all-out war on #Obamacare.
"Repeal is 100% crucial.  Replacement is not necessary if the replacement is a government…"
16 hours ago
Doug Fox replied to Robin's discussion The House Freedom Caucus has declared all-out war on #Obamacare.
"About time someone in the House showed some spine !! I remain skeptical that they can get the 218…"
yesterday
Robin replied to Rick's discussion GOP Rep. Steve King: Speaker Paul Ryan Is Not for the Border Wall (VIDEO)
"We all know now that Paul Ryan wants to keep things status-quo. They don't want the apple cart…"
yesterday
Robin liked Rick's discussion GOP Rep. Steve King: Speaker Paul Ryan Is Not for the Border Wall (VIDEO)
yesterday
Robin posted a discussion

North Korea North Korean Crisis Peaks, All U.S. Nationals Ordered To Evacuate

There has been plenty of speculation regarding the Trump administration’s plans to incapacitate…See More
yesterday
Jerome replied to Fundamental Refounding's discussion Wed Tids 7/19/17 The Top 25 RINOs that need to be replaced... REPEAL..The 7 Most Hypocritical Things Republicans Have Said About Obamacare Repeal
"Hypocrites, one and all!"
yesterday
JeansBrother posted a discussion

Heritage Foundation -- 2017 Index of Culture and Opportunity

The 2016 election cycle revealed a deeply unsettled spirit in many Americans. Job and wage numbers…See More
Friday

TRAFFIC

© 2017   Fundamental Refounding.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service