DOJ Sets Deadline for “Sanctuary Cities” to Follow the Law or Lose Grant Money

The Department of Justice has set a date for when so-called “sanctuary cities” need to comply with the law or lose grant money.

What’s happening. The New York Times reported:

The Justice Department sent letters to officials in New York City, Philadelphia, California and other places that were singled out last year by the agency’s inspector general for regulations that interfere with the ability of police or sheriffs to communicate with federal immigration authorities about the status of prisoners in their custody.

The agency cited the rising murder rate in Chicago and cast blame for gang murders in New York on what it labeled a “soft on crime” stance. It also complained that after the recent arrests of 11 members of the MS-13 Salvadoran street gang, the deputy police chief of Santa Cruz, Calif., had stressed that the raid was unrelated to immigration instead of “warning other MS-13 members that they would be next.”

President Trump ran on a platform of cracking down on illegal immigration and issued an executive orderduring his first week in office aimed at starting that process. Last month, Attorney General Jeff Sessionswarned that recipients of federal law enforcement grants were required to comply with a 1996 law that bars the local authorities from forcing officials to withhold information from federal immigration authorities about people’s immigration status.

“Many of these jurisdictions are also crumbling under the weight of illegal immigration and violent crime,” the Justice Department said in a news release along with the letters.

The letters. The policy, first announced by the Obama administration back in July but without a set deadline in favor of adjustment time, has been given a date for compliance set at June 30 if cities want to continue receiving grant money.

The letters all had similar language and were signed by Alan R. Hanson, “acting director of the Office of Justice Programs, which administers the Byrne law enforcement grant program, the federal government’s top source of justice funding for local jurisdictions,” according to the New York Times.

“Failure to comply with this condition could result in the withholding of grant funds, suspension or termination of the grant, ineligibility for future O.J.P. grants or subgrants, or other action, as appropriate,” Hanson wrote.

What this means. While the grant money appears to be a relatively small amount in the grand scheme of things, this is a strong first step in the right direction toward restoring law and order in this country. Moreover, not a single penny should go to jurisdictions that put Americans in danger and refuse to respect law and order.

http://thefederalistpapers.org/us/doj-sets-deadline-for-sanctuary-c...

Views: 35

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Our immigration system was never really "broken", our ENFORCEMENT of immigration laws has been what's broken. Thanks to the traitorous Left. Besides withholding funds, I'd truly love to see mayors, starting with Rahb Emmanual, charged with federal crimes. It's probably too much to hope for, but I'm a big fan of the public "perp walk" prior to booking, upon said charges being levied...

I think we agree on this subject.

Ending Sanctuary Cities

Federal law is supreme over the laws of States or the ordinances of counties, cities, and towns.

Fundamental law (the Constitution) provides that only the federal government has jurisdiction over immigration and visitors from foreign nations.

All citizens are required to obey the law and all elected officials are citizens.

A policy of non-cooperation with federal law is obstructionist in nature.

Elected officials who have voted to implement a policy of non-cooperation with federal law with regard to immigration have either corruptly impeded the due and proper administration of federal law or impeded the due and proper exercise of the power of inquiry under 18 U.S. Code Chapter 73 para 1505.

This title allows imprisonment for not more than 5 years or, if the offense involves international or domestic terrorism (as defined in section 2331), imprisoned not more than 8 years, or both.

The Attorney General of the United States should charge each elected official who voted for a local sanctuary policy with obstruction of justice.  Further, should investigation reveal that there was collusion among elected officials, each official should be charged with conspiracy to commit obstruction of justice.

Hopefully, when the personal consequences of breaking the law become apparent, our elected officials will obey the law, its intent and their oaths of office.  Otherwise, they may sacrifice their political futures.

I agree with all that.  We can't be the only people who recognize that there are laws!

I completely agree, JB! 

I agree.  We have laws, and it was refreshing to hear AG Sessions say that the laws must be enforced.  I don't want to see those laws changed before the wall is well underway (if not completed) and illegal immigration halted.   I don't really want to see the laws changed at all, but the reality is that some people here illegally are going to be allowed to stay under certain circumstances.  That shouldn't happen before securing that border and stopping the mass immigration of illegals, but it will happen eventually whether we oppose it or not. That said, let's be smart about it if we can. 

Illegal immigration is down around 70% since Trump took office. That's even before the wall. :)

I agree, Bruce! We have the laws on the books already, they just haven't been enforced. I am a huge fan of the public perp walk.  

Illegal immigrants should never be considered as participants in our "Immigration System" as illegals, are for all intents and purposes "law breakers".  Only invited immigrants are in actuality participants in America's system.  Our Immigration system consists of laws, rules and regulations, illegals are outside the "system" by their own volition.  Illegals should be referred to as such.  The word immigrant was given to them to make their invasion and trespass more palatable to American citizens for emotional sake.  The truth is, they are simply law breakers and the only identification for them should be: "Illegal Usurpers".  If there is something that needs to be changed, and those changes are required to be made, then they must be made by changing the laws through legislation.  The only thing about America's Immigration System that's not working is the enforcement of the Immigration Laws as written.  Lack of law enforcement cannot and will not change or amend the law, as the governing laws remain as is.

I think we must build the wall, and I don't care if Mexico pays up front, after the fact, or at all.

It is good to hear phrases like 'enforce our laws.'

After the wall is done, Congress can introduce legislation to allow so-called dreamers and the children brought here illegally to stay here legally, provided no other crimes have been committed.  That there would probably have some bipartisan support.  Citizenship is another matter. 

The wall, I agree, must be a given. I'm assuming that Trump will honor that promise. On so called "dreamers", I'm not adverse to applying benevolent leniency in their case, that to be hammered out. However, the only way that it should be implemented is if chain migration is TOTALLY removed from the equation. In my opinion...

I also believe that Attorney General Sessions is great :-)

I agree on the chain migration.  I also believe that a baby born here to illegal immigrants is not a natural born citizen, and that baby certainly does not have the entitlement of his parents being allowed to stay because of his birthplace.  That has not been challenged thru lol the courts, as far as I know, but it should be. 

That benevolent leniency will happen, I'm sure of it.  It will do no good to resist it totally, and allow the democrats to later get everything they want should they regain a majority in 6 or 8 years.  We need win-win, as long as our side wins bigger and better. 

Yep, all that stuff!!

RSS

Attention:

Please view our mission, policy, and legal disclaimer to learn about us by visiting the main menu.  Thank you.

PLEASE SIGN THE PETITION!

AGENDA 21/2030

http://bit.ly/2mqIVmH 

CONTACT CONGRESS!

Let your voice be counted!

House:  http://1.usa.gov/mHZjgo

Senate:  http://1.usa.gov/3UAs

PLEASE PRAY FOR OUR NATION.

national debt

Founders' Corner

Latest Activity

Robin posted discussions
2 hours ago
Lynn Rackoski posted a discussion
3 hours ago
Fundamental Refounding posted a discussion

USS Gerald R. Ford Commissioning

Trump says military "bigger, better, stronger" at USS Gerald R. Ford commissioningPresident Trump…See More
4 hours ago
Robin replied to JeansBrother's discussion Healthcare RINOs
"All the RINOS are going to be targeted for replacement! Enough is enough! The people are beyond…"
12 hours ago
Robin liked JeansBrother's discussion Healthcare RINOs
12 hours ago
Robin replied to Rick's discussion Mueller Expands Probe to Trump Business Transactions... Out of Control
"Mark Levin: Mueller Investigation Is Pretext To Impeachment Content originally published…"
12 hours ago
JeansBrother posted discussions
12 hours ago
Robin replied to Robin's discussion The House Freedom Caucus has declared all-out war on #Obamacare.
"Well said, Jerome! Government needs to repeal it totally. Get out and let the free market work."
14 hours ago
Robin replied to Robin's discussion The House Freedom Caucus has declared all-out war on #Obamacare.
"I agree, Doug! This is so very frustrating. Great to see you, btw!"
14 hours ago
Jerome replied to Robin's discussion The House Freedom Caucus has declared all-out war on #Obamacare.
"Repeal is 100% crucial.  Replacement is not necessary if the replacement is a government…"
16 hours ago
Doug Fox replied to Robin's discussion The House Freedom Caucus has declared all-out war on #Obamacare.
"About time someone in the House showed some spine !! I remain skeptical that they can get the 218…"
yesterday
Robin replied to Rick's discussion GOP Rep. Steve King: Speaker Paul Ryan Is Not for the Border Wall (VIDEO)
"We all know now that Paul Ryan wants to keep things status-quo. They don't want the apple cart…"
yesterday
Robin liked Rick's discussion GOP Rep. Steve King: Speaker Paul Ryan Is Not for the Border Wall (VIDEO)
yesterday
Robin posted a discussion

North Korea North Korean Crisis Peaks, All U.S. Nationals Ordered To Evacuate

There has been plenty of speculation regarding the Trump administration’s plans to incapacitate…See More
yesterday
Jerome replied to Fundamental Refounding's discussion Wed Tids 7/19/17 The Top 25 RINOs that need to be replaced... REPEAL..The 7 Most Hypocritical Things Republicans Have Said About Obamacare Repeal
"Hypocrites, one and all!"
yesterday
JeansBrother posted a discussion

Heritage Foundation -- 2017 Index of Culture and Opportunity

The 2016 election cycle revealed a deeply unsettled spirit in many Americans. Job and wage numbers…See More
Friday

TRAFFIC

© 2017   Fundamental Refounding.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service