Deputy Attorney General Rod Rosenstein acknowledges he may need to recuse himself from Russia probe, sources say

Well lookie here! 

The senior Justice Department official with ultimate authority over the special counsel's probe of Russia's alleged meddling in the 2016 election has privately acknowledged to colleagues that he may have to recuse himself from the matter, which he took charge of only after Attorney General Jeff Sessions' own recusal, sources tell ABC News.

Those private remarks from Deputy Attorney General Rod Rosenstein are significant because they reflect the widening nature of the federal probe, which now includes a preliminary inquiry into whether President Donald Trump attempted to obstruct justice when he allegedly tried to curtail the probe and then fired James Comey as FBI director.

Rosenstein, who authored an extensive and publicly-released memorandum recommending Comey's firing, raised the possibility of his recusal during a recent meeting with Associate Attorney General Rachel Brand, the Justice Department's new third-in-command, according to sources.

Although Rosenstein appointed a special counsel to lead the federal probe, he still makes the final decisions about resources, personnel and -- if necessary -- any prosecutions.

In the recent meeting with Brand, Rosenstein told her that if he were to recuse himself, she would have to step in and take over those responsibilities. She was sworn-in little more than a month ago. 

http://abcnews.go.com/Politics/deputy-attorney-general-privately-ac...

Views: 25

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

...and the Left is still the real power in DC.

Indeed, they are Bruce. I shake my head every day at the things we are seeing go on. 

This whole thing is beyond insanity now. I agree with Newt. 

Gingrich: Rosenstein needs a special counsel to investigate the special counsel

Former House Speaker Newt Gingrich told Fox News host Sean Hannity he believes Deputy Attorney General Rod Rosenstein will be forced to investigate the FBI's probe into President Trump and Russia because of the issues within the current federal investigation.

"It may be that the deputy attorney general has a new assignment, which is to create a special counsel to look into leaks of the special counsel," Gingrich said Friday evening. "Maybe not this first round, but by the time we have three or four leaks, which we will get from the special counsel's office, I think will be forced to create a new special counsel to look into the special counsel."

Special counsel Robert Mueller's relationship with former FBI Director James Comey has come under scrutiny as a possible conflict of interest given that both led the FBI and have a personal relationship.

Earlier this week, Gingrich tweeted concern over Mueller's hiring Democratic donors to handle the probe.

Gingrich made his way into the news cycle every day this week for comments that were mostly in defense of Trump. His statement Friday evening referred to a Washington Post story published Wednesday that said the special counsel was looking into whether Trump obstructed justice in the federal probe.

Rosenstein's office issued a memo stating Justice Department officials could not confirm or deny questions from the media about the FBI investigation.

Gingrich said he did not take anything away from Rosenstein's memo, but found it ironic that the Post would continue to push its stories citing anonymous sources while department officials were at an impasse as far as commenting.

http://www.washingtonexaminer.com/gingrich-rosenstein-needs-a-speci...

Swamp!  What swamp?  Move along here or I'll have to ask you for your papers.

Haha, JB! Papers? Papers???? I don't have no stinkin papers. I'm a dreamer, dontcha-know?  

Dream on

Little Dreamer dream on

Dream on Little Dreamer dream on ....

You crack me up, JB! I needed the laughs. :)

RSS

Attention:

Please view our mission, policy, and legal disclaimer to learn about us by visiting the main menu.  Thank you.

PLEASE SIGN THE PETITION!

AGENDA 21/2030

http://bit.ly/2mqIVmH 

CONTACT CONGRESS!

Let your voice be counted!

House:  http://1.usa.gov/mHZjgo

Senate:  http://1.usa.gov/3UAs

PLEASE PRAY FOR OUR NATION.

national debt

Founders' Corner

Latest Activity

Robin replied to Robin's discussion The Left Now Eating Their Own: Democrats Talk Openly About Challenging Nancy Pelosi’s Leadership
"Quinton Jackson‏ @alaskantexanQCT Pelosi: I Am a ‘Target’ Because I Am a…"
2 minutes ago
Robin posted discussions
3 minutes ago
Robin replied to Robin's discussion Special Counsel to Probe “Team Obama” For Obstruction
"I know they will never report on this. And, they wonder WHY no one trusts them and we all use…"
7 minutes ago
Robin liked JeansBrother's discussion Judicial Recap -- 6/20/2017
9 minutes ago
Robin replied to JeansBrother's discussion Judicial Recap -- 6/20/2017
"These people are NUTS! Squirrel nuts.  Nearly 200 Democrats in Congress plan to sue…"
9 minutes ago
Robin replied to Jerseygal's discussion TERRIBLE: American Student Released By North Koreans Dies After Coming Home In A Coma
"Pretty dangerous situation we have here. "
17 minutes ago
Robin replied to Fundamental Refounding's discussion Tue Tids 6/20/17 TOP TID Judicial Watch: Obama NSC Advisor Susan Rice’s Unmasking Material is at Obama Library
"You're welcome, girlfriend. "
18 minutes ago
Robin replied to Rick's discussion Anti-Trump Website Calls for 'Physical Violence' Against Conservatives... ANTIFA
"Things are going to heat up for sure. I have a few things to post on this subject with coming…"
20 minutes ago
Robin liked Rick's discussion Anti-Trump Website Calls for 'Physical Violence' Against Conservatives... ANTIFA
22 minutes ago
Robin replied to Robin's discussion Senate Releases Healthcare Bill
"Sens. Cruz, Johnson, Lee, and Paul Issue Joint Statement on Senate Health Bill June 22,…"
29 minutes ago
"Senator Ted Cruz‏Verified account @SenTedCruz  4h4 hours ago Joint statement…"
30 minutes ago
"Senator Rand Paul‏Verified account @RandPaul  4h4 hours ago Replying…"
37 minutes ago
"Senator Rand Paul‏Verified account @RandPaul The current #healthcarebill does not…"
38 minutes ago
Jerome replied to Robin's discussion Senate Releases Healthcare Bill
"I had to laugh, less than 10 minutes after the info was released this AM, the Lamestream media was…"
1 hour ago
Jerseygal commented on Robin's blog post CLASSIC: Thomas Sowell takes just four minutes to DEMOLISH 100 years of liberal thought
"Sowell was a free thinker.   The education system of the last 3-4 decades has all but wiped…"
9 hours ago
Jerseygal replied to Jerseygal's discussion TERRIBLE: American Student Released By North Koreans Dies After Coming Home In A Coma
"No, we won't!"
9 hours ago

TRAFFIC

© 2017   Fundamental Refounding.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service